10.02.2009

Sesame Seared Tuna

Since Mr. Foodie doesn't eat red meat or pork, it is sometimes easy to get stuck in the comfortable mode of  always eating chicken. There are so many possibilities when it comes to chicken, I have to admit I don't always realize it is the only "meat" we've had in a while.  Especially since I've become so interested in finding new recipes and ideas.

I try to incorporate seafood into the rotation as often as possible. I'm really good with buying and using shrimp as you can see (roasted broccoli and shrimp, white cheese pizza with shrimp and spinach, baked shrimp with tomatoes and feta).  But I am really picky about the fish I buy, which some might say is interesting because my fav is fried catfish, a scavenger fish.  Hey, blame my mother because that was my Friday night dinner throughout my entire childhood.  The fish at the local supermarket just doesn't always look the "freshest" so I prefer to venture to Whole Foods or the Dekalb Farmer's Market (a great local gem and a must visit if you're ever in the area) when I want to prepare fish.

During one of my recent blog search for a new and exciting fish recipe, I ran across one using tuna at steamykitchen.com. It intrigued me and seemed simple enough.  


I had never prepared fresh tuna and was a little gun shy (even though I am the queen of spicing up a regular can of albacore tuna).  This recipe was just as simple to prepare as I'd hoped, although next time I will try not to cook the tuna as long.  It wasn't perfect but I'm still sharing it with you because that is what this cooking thing is all about.  I was aiming to leave the middle a little pink, only searing the sides, but clearly overestimated the necessary cooking time to do just that. I probably prepared it medium well when I was hoping for medium rare but it still turned out delicious.  The wasabi paste added a nice, subtle flavor and was not as electrifying as it normally is when I eat sushi.  I served it with the lime ginger sauce which accompanied the recipe, although I made a few variations, and an avocado salad that I really, really enjoyed.  I'll share that recipe with you next.


Sesame Seared Tuna
Printable Recipe
serves 2

3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
1 pound tuna, sushi grade, approximately 2 pieces (I cut my two pieces in half to make 4)
2 teaspoon wasabi paste
1 tablespoon olive oil

Combine the black and white sesame seeds in a bowl.  Cut the tuna pieces in half and pat dry. Spread wasabi paste on each side of the tuna pieces. Place each piece of tuna in the bowl of sesame seeds and coat completely. Set aside.


Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.  When the oil is hot, place the tuna pieces in the pan making sure they do not touch.  Cook tuna for 2 minutes (for medium rare) depending on the thickness, flip tuna and cook for 2 additional minutes. Remove the tuna to plate



Lime Ginger Sauce
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl, whisk all of the ingredients together.  Drizzle on prepared tuna.


adapted from steamykitchen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment